by Elizabeth Bentzen, LCYC Commodore
Memorial Day weekend was VERY busy at the Club, and I am happy to see families enjoying sailing during this time. Although venues are beginning to reopen in Texas, many remain closed. All are mandated by Governor Abbott to limit attendance and enforce social distancing recommendations. Because LCYC is open for members, we have seen an influx of guests of members and non-members gaining access to our grounds. I would ask members to please understand if they are asked by me or another member about your membership status, and let your guests know that they may be asked about their status. In order for the Club to operate safely, I would encourage you to consider during this time limiting the number of guests you bring to the Club. If you do invite guests to LCYC, inform them of Club rules, and be present with them on Club property. It is against LCYC rules to share the gate code with nonmembers. A member hosting guests should meet them at the gate or obtain a special event code from the administrator.
As we begin to move into the summer months, below is a reminder of a few Club rules that have been of concern to members recently. I encourage all members to review the Club rules and slip standards that are in your 2020 Directory, pages 70- 102. If you have any questions please contact the club administrator or me.
- No one is allowed to ride on trailers or boats moving on the ramp or club property.
- Please park golf carts and ATVs in the gravel area next to the ramp or the ledge beyond the Porta-Potty.
- Pet owners will keep pets on a leash.
- Children under the age of 12 must always wear an approved Personal Flotation Device when on the docks or around the water.
- Members should not share the gate code with non-members.
- Members MUST accompany their guests on Club property unless they obtain specific authorization for unaccompanied guests by contacting the Club Administrator.
- Sons and Daughters, age 22 and older, of Senior members are expected to apply for club membership if they desire to use the facilities in the absence of a parent who is a Senior member.
- Children under the age of 15 must be supervised by an adult member or must be participating in a Club sponsored event with adult supervision. There are provisions for children ages 15-17 to use club grounds without their parent if the parents provide a written statement to the club administrator (information can be found on pages 84-85 of the Directory).
- Boats may be left unattended on the LCYC waterfront for a maximum of 3 consecutive nights. If there is a legitimate need to exceed the 3 consecutive nights, a Temporary Docking Permit should be requested from the club administrator.
There are still recommendations in place for physical distancing and wearing face coverings in public when physical distancing is not possible. Although the Club is open for members to access and use their boat, gatherings on the property should be limited to family units. When at the Club, please practice physical distancing, hand washing, and do not come to the Club if you are sick. A COVID-19 task force is currently working on a plan to ensure the safety of our club members and employees so that we can responsibly resume some Club activities in the near future.
On another topic, there have been some problems with D dock. In the recent storms and high winds, the anchors on some of the cables have dragged. We are in contact with MDI to get them out and find a permanent solution to the issue. I want to thank our great Dock and Grounds Crew (Julian, Rashad and Ed), Rick Walker, Marvin Arnold and John Ruiz for their work and quick response to the situation.
Please remember to stay safe at the Club and on the water!
Welcome New Members
- Aaron Brittain and Misty Ghormley – New Braunfels, TX
by Margaret McGill and Mindy Rogers, Co-Port Captains
Since we haven’t had any social events and there are none planned for the foreseeable future, there’s not much for us to report. The club and marina are exceptionally busy these days, and we hope everyone is following Governor Abbott’s guidelines for safe recreation.
See you at the club or on the water (from a safe distance).
Series & Event Racing
by Rick Mella, Rear Commodore of Sail
As we move into uncharted waters, LCYC racing program will restart once the LCYC Board approves our Task Force recommendations.
In the meantime, please adhere to all the safety guidelines for protecting ourselves against Coronavirus so that we can stay safe and return to a new normal.
by Bill McVey
As you know, due to the corona virus restrictions, we were not able to hold our first planned adaptive sail outing for this year in May. We are scheduled for our second scheduled event on Saturday June 27th. With just a “little “luck maybe this one will actually happen!
Our guests for this one will be coming via the Door-in-the-Wall Texas organization. This is a great organization located in Bandera, founded by a mother of a special needs child herself years ago. They offer various activities during the year for their participants, and sailing at our club has become one of the favorites for quite a few, as we have several folks that have attended multiple times! You might enjoy visiting their website to learn more about the organization at www.ditwtexas.org. Click on the sailing link to see their experiences with us in the past!
Our schedule is:
- 11 am- orientation to club and sailboats
- 11:30 – lunch; LCYC provides for both guests and volunteers.
- 12:00 – Assign guests to boats
- 12:15 – go to boats, sail
- 2:45 – return to docks
- 3:00 – end of event
We would like to have 8-9 keelboats and skippers and also 8-9 additional experienced crews (in case the skipper decides to go for a swim!) so we can accommodate up to 25 guests. We also need 3-4 volunteers to set out the lunch and clean up afterwards.
The outing will be about 4 weeks after this is published in our Ditty Bag, so it’s not too early to be signing up to help if you are interested! Just email email@example.com.
Thanks very much!
by Chris Fogle, LCYC TSA Representative
2020 Texas Sailing Association (TSA) Youth Racing Circuit Dates
|6-7 Jun||Road Runner Regatta & Texas State Youth Laser Championship||Austin YC|
|20-21 Jun||Jr. Ol’ Man of the Sea Regatta||Ft. Worth Boat Club|
|TX Youth Race Week Clinic
TX Youth Race Week
|1-2 Aug||TCYC Youth Regatta||Texas Corinthian YC|
|12-13 Sep||Rock the Rock Regatta||Corinthian Sailing Club, (White Rock Lake)|
|26-27 Sep||Rockin Rockport Regatta||Rockport YC|
|10-11 Oct||Pirates of the Corinthian Regatta and KO Sailing Texas State Optimist Champ||Dallas Corinthian YC|
|13-14 Nov||TSA End of Year Regatta: Chocopalooza Regatta||Dallas Corinthian YC|
by Bill Cook, Ditty Bag Editor
LCYC members are invited to submit their short articles about anything club or sailing related. Photos are welcome. Please submit your article to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In lieu of their canceled Yellowstone, Zion, Moab camping trip, Ann & Bill Cook have been taking advantage of our great weather by sailing or enjoying Girolata every day in May!
|Commodore – Elizabeth Bentzen||Treasurer – Renee Kizziar|
|Vice Commodore – Scott Wells||Port Co-Captains – Margaret McGill, Mindy Rogers|
|Rear Commodore – Mike Samulin||Rear Commodore for Sail – Rick Mella|
|Secretary – Laurie McGill|
|Board of Governors|
|2019 – 2020|
|Debbie Fogle||Ed Miller|
|Bubba Harris||Jean Junker|
|2020 – 2021|
|Chuck Begley||Carolyn Harris|
|Boguslaw Godlewski||Joseph McDonough|
|Adaptive Sailing – Bill McVey||Membership – Jim Garity|
|Adult Sail Training – Mike Stellato||Nominations – Jim Kizziar|
|Audit Committee – Rick Cioppa||Personnel – Ed Miller|
|Budget Committee – Laurie McGill||PHRF – Jim Garity|
|Cabana Owners – Christina Purcell||Safety – Ron Popp|
|Corps of Engineers – Joe McDonough & Rick Mella||Slip Utilization – Steve Edlund|
|Docks & Grounds – Rick Walker||TSA Rep – Chris Fogle|
|Emergency Task Force – Julian Craven||Vice Docks and Grounds – Dave Sanford|
|Lifetime Achievement – Sandra Lindsey||Wurstfest Regatta – Scott Wells|
|Long Range Planning – Marvin Arnold & Ed Miller||Youth Sailing – Travis Mitchell|
|Women’s Sailing – Lynn Simpson & Debbie Fogle|
|Club Administrator – Carolyn Cole||Docks & Grounds- Edward Ward, Rashad Williams|
|Staff – Carolyn Cole Maggie Carty, Tiffany Hodge||Ditty Bag – Bill Cook|
|Property Manager – Julian Craven||Website – Kathy Leubner|